Friday, January 4, 2008

In desperate measures, one has got to plug in!

So, I extended my ticket home to give myself more time in the San Francisco bay area. After a week of driving to arrive here on New Year's eve, plans to fly home on the 3rd seemed hasty to some. Fair enough. The plan was to help my brother procure an apartment and necessary furnishings, and to use my guns (not the ones in my holster, the ones on my upper arms) to help with the logistics and man labor of getting stuff into the place...and in the meantime see about the prospects and interest in living here until I have the funds to return to Fairbanks. I made this decision yesterday. Otherwise I was to have arrived home back east by lunch time.
As per my life, today there are torrents of rain. The place we're staying is out of power (for how long? I don't know.) so not much is getting done. I'm writing this at a geriatrics' cafe in town with fifty percent battery power remaining; the only place we could find an internet connection for free. Who knew that the septuagenarians required wi-fi...The crosswinds are blowing the rain horizontal outside my booth window. I hear a woman beside me tell her ten-year-old son that it is supposed to rain like this until Tuesday. Then she says that something is amiss at the PG&E headquarters nearby so the area might be without power for a few days...and as I sit here frantically trying to complete my blog on remaining battery power, while some guy boggarts the other electrical outlet for his cell phone, I am reminded of the one true and reliable constant in my life: when faced with deciding between two options (in this case, in most cases really, 'to stay or not to stay') inevitably whatever I decide, I should have chosen the other.

No comments: