Saturday, January 12, 2008

Descent/ Ascent



The all-pervasive "they" are always harping on the "post-holiday blues" or the inevitable blasé demeanor and melancholy mood "they" believe most people (dare I say American people) will exhibit at the start of a new calendar year. "They" formulate and circulate a bunch of top ten lists ( Top ten ways not to feel blasé! Top ten ways to keep your New Year's Resolution now!) designed to combat the feelings "they" impose upon us. Indeed I agree that for the binge shopper or ultimate materialist mentality there must certainly be an aftermath to all that consumerism. Who else is left to buy for? What else is left to buy? If not a holiday, a gift, it seems, is not a thing to be given.
Often times this post-"holiday-climax" descent takes the form of loneliness, as friends and family return to their respective lives and homes worldwide, or bid you adieu when the time comes for you to return to yours.
This year my personal downslope has taken a unique form. With roughly eight months of ongoing life in "transition" as my mom likes to call it, the day-to-day has been inconsistent, variable, frustrating...if not interesting to say the least. I have hit road blocks in essentially every valued area of Western life: career, finance, love, family...come to think, these aforementioned months have actually been a long and gradual downslope, precluding a new calendar year.
Consequently, my recent and well-publicized cross country trip was a bit a fresh air in a life- aspirations stalemate. And so, right now while I'm not sitting on a bunch of melancholy feelings resulting from a holiday of overstuffed expectations, or feeling blue at the thought of taking down a Christmas tree, I am on the downward slope from two weeks as nomad. Settling in to routine days is a bit tough.
But the upside to my mini-denouement is my hopeful and optimistic anticipation of what I intuit will be an awesome year. My impending ascent. Nomadic time (and a little yogic meditation) is conducive to flushing out the stagnant so as to allow space to invite the new things that are to come.
For once in a long while I'm optimistic. I wonder what "they" would have to say to that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You write beautifully

Unknown said...

You write beautifully