Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ceremonial Hanging

In many traditions there are customary coming-of-age ceremonies to solidify the "growing older" of the human body, the maturation of form, and other such passages a person travels through over time. Thirty is in many ways and to (too) many people a milestone of sorts...for better or worse. As I described, my "thirty" ceremony included a journey, a companion and the sea...a symbol of vast expansiveness, unknown, and seeming infinity to stare into. (what a good way to ring in the the future on the day of your birth, no?)

But I also commemorated my turning thirty with a ceremonial hanging:











(Images from show at Cup & Saucer, NE 30th and Killingsworth, Portland, OR through March 31)


I hung my first Portland show.



No matter how seemingly minuscule this show will become in my future endeavors, successes, and achievements, it feels satisfying now and inspiring to start off this decade on the good foot; to know that I have forward movement in the direction of my most desired goals while I look longingly and with intention into the great unknown.


No comments: