Monday, June 23, 2008

Trench/ Fortify

Fortune of the day: "Prevention is better than cure! (today do something that could save you a lot of future hassle.) "





In the classic game of 'Risk: a Game of World Domination', prevention looks like a fortification of literal forces to ensure one's safety within their own territory; a conscious forethought as means of protection against the unexpected and the unwarranted, particularly in one's own home(land). No one likes a hassle in their home. It's best to then surround this space with a water body, a wall, or a long deep hole. i.e. trench.

Tactically, I suppose one fortifies for the offensive too...after all, if the goal is to take over the world, one has got to be ready for anything, including the know of where to throw stones. And when. Unfortunately, I'm not one to offer up initial moves.

In the march forward I naturally bring up the rear, feel out the pace, let someone else lay the groundwork but remain engaged and committed for clinch decisions (and also because I really do care where we end up!).But like a sled dog might I then take off running in full sprint, forgetting my role and overlooking future hassle in the excitement of new territory. I only acknowledged this trait while literally hiking, but I'm drawing parallel lines right now.

Defensively speaking, preventively speaking, however, I'm guessing that to protect your own home(space) and assure preparedness for impending onslaughts, the simple, logical thing to do would include the creation of a 'safe zone', fortified with troops and complete with a deep furrow, beyond whence invading parties cannot penetrate. (I've heard this works with fires). Therein, at least if your nature is not one of alpha standards (attack first, recover later!), you can still 'protect what's yours', so-to-speak; what I mean is, maintain your sacred space.

With maturity, I've been striving to have the forethought to keep my sacred space with a modest trench surrounding and metaphorical troops on guard; I try to be ready for anything and be in the periphery of my own reaction, doubt...stockpiling logical decisions for initial breakdowns. It's easier to fortify sooner than later....better for picking up pieces...

But herein lies the reason I will never succeed at world domination: I see the threat of vulnerability looming and forget to dig a trench and bring my troops to the front line...fortify. Instead I tramp right in smiling, heart on sleeve and hoping things will go my way.

A downfall? To some I suppose. But I say hey, stick to what you know. 'Risk' the future hassle at the odds of an opportune moment and a handful of good timing.

No comments: