Monday, January 14, 2008

And the point I was getting at:

...Last night I was watching a PBS documentary on a twenty-something who has asperger's, a high functioning form of autism. The asperger's individual is the most fascinating of all people to me. Generally asperger's kids are very intelligent and intuitive, have great language and verbal skills, but somehow lack the innate capabilities for "appropriate" social interaction. In short they are more like the ISTP individual than the INFJ. In fact, in the doc an asperger's support group member shared that he is obsessed with TV because he uses television drama as a set of rules for real life social interaction. Whereas I just take of running with my gut instinct and heart on my sleeve, there are those that need a set of rules to dictate whether that sort of behavior is appropriate or not. Its a case of the F versus the T. In a sense even the most basic daily interaction with others seems to be forced sociability for the aspies...kind of like I am experiencing in my controlled work environment, only for them its a constant free-for-all.
My mother said the other day, in response to my introverted need for a moment's silence post required-sociability, that its the same with having kids. There becomes the constant need to repeat oneself in simple terms, to hug and hold and pick up and wrestle, so that by the end of the day the last things a mom wants are conversation or physical contact.
Ironically I had just been thinking to myself that day how much I have been craving physical contact. Not of the intimate sort, though I think physical contact of all levels has some intimacy underlying...
As a dancer though, I have led a life accustomed to touching other people, feeling their body weight on mine, touching their sweaty salty skin, using myself as a tool to aid in stretching, lifting, shaping, weight sharing and receiving the same from my fellow dancers. Having left that world of flesh on flesh there has been a lacking in physical connection to other people and I have become acutely aware of the "rules" of physical engagement...similar to the rules of social engagement the aspergers individual was seeking. But still somehow to me it seems much more appealing, and normal, to drape my sweaty torso over a complete stranger in a proper setting than to give a dear friend a hug.

No comments: