Friday, December 7, 2007

P. A.

Wow. I'm finding it hard to believe its been nearly two months since I posted. Not that anyone's reading...
The lack of insightful writings is a result of my current locale.
As it turns out, I'm wintering in Pennsylvania. I'm sure if you are reading you're thinking that I change plans like underwear. I can empathize with that opinion. I like to think I learn by doing. In truth the story of how this keystone winter came to be is tiresome and unfortunate, but revolves around bureaucracy and paperwork, two things I despise. And the concept that I absolutely must go ahead and try to do it to realize I shouldn't have tried to do it or didn't even want to in the first place. Thus I have nestled away in the snow-covered lane named for long-expanses-of-wildflower-land-in-which-to-romp until weather and finances permit me to head back up. I'm craving big north.

( no, this is not a meadow in P-A)
"Nestled in this snowy lane" may sound cozy and nice, but believe you-me its certainly not like wintering in the Rocky mountains, or Hawaii as many of Alaska's residents do, or even wintering in Florida where at least for the sake of killing boredom you're close to the beach. No, here in P-A, ("the only state" someone recently epiphan-ized to me, "where people call it by the letters...P...A") one gets stuck in a rut for lack of things to do. I'm not talking in terms of giant adventures to ski slopes or cabins in the mountains. I'm talking basics. I just want to see a damn film that doesn't have some simple horror theme and two teeny bop celebs or some urban slang in the title, but here in mid-state P-A the "films" rarely arrive. I would even settle for a day in the art community, say looking at art or watching a show. Unfortunately the art museum is featuring some 19th century Parisian prints and its specialty: some local artists who specialize in the all-too-unoriginal photos of the Market Street bridge and Capitol Building or watercolors of a coffee mug on kitchen table. The only show of the season is none other than the Nutcracker, put on by the ballet school where I used to teach (picture low low budget renditions of your favorite musical performed in the attic or living room at family gatherings and holidays)
On the other hand, if you're in the area and want to find me, I'll be serving up coffee and bagels at the best local business in town. Turns out my mean tortilla wrapping skills from Fairbanks have come in handy...and my sarcasm and body art have found a place of acceptance in Republican-ville.

But no worries, all: I'll be camera-toting on a cross-country road adventure to ring in the new year, so my ho-hum attitude and general blasé will soon vanish and I will enlighten this blog with visuals more appropriate for its hefty title...earth-see. and sky. ahead.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ha! I found you. I'm here - we must get together. I'll find you something artsy. :)